In collaboration with the Francis Tuttle Technology Center and the Tulsa Technology Center, the PetroTech Technical Training Program is a focused technical training program for individuals interested in acquiring the knowledge and certification necessary to pursue a career in Oklahoma’s oil and natural gas industry. This certification can assist individuals in obtaining a position as a Geological, Engineering or Land Technician.
Future classes are enrolling now.
The program is also valuable training for individuals currently employed in the oil and natural gas industry who are looking to hone their skills, build their résumé and/or seek promotions within their company. If you are in the oil and natural gas industry and are interested in taking individual classes:
Petroleum business applications.
- Well and production data management
- Mud logging and electric logging
- Oil and natural gas economics
- Land and lease records
- Geological mapping
- ArcGIS in the petroleum industry
- Industry access practices
- Power BI
- Résumé and writing
- Courses are taught by instructors with significant industry experience.
- Eleven classes are required for a PetroTech certification.
- Evening classes from 6 to 9 p.m. are perfect for working professionals.
- Classes vary in length from one night to six weeks.
- Students can complete the PetroTech program in as little as 10 to 12 months. Classes are offered based on student demand.
- Registration is conveniently available through OERB.com.
- Potential applicants currently NOT in the oil and natural gas industry must submit an official high school diploma, GED equivalent or college transcript. Your application will not be processed without providing one of these items.
- Applicants currently employed in the industry do not need to submit transcripts.
- Each course ranges in cost from $45 to $315 per module.
- The average cost for the complete certification is $2,000 to $2,500.
- Students in the PetroTech program are not eligible for Title IV financial aid: Pell Grants, SEOG grants, OTAG grants, Stafford Student Loans or current funding for unemployed workers through state agencies.
- Scholarships are currently available on a limited basis. Please see program application for details.
- A complete list of fees can be found here.
“I enrolled in the PetroTech program in the fall of 2007. The knowledge and industry understanding I gained as a PT student helped me quickly advance from a tech to an Analyst in less than 6 months. I would highly recommend this program for anyone interested in the energy industry but doesn’t know where to start.”
“I first learned about the program during my class at Tulsa Technology Center. After researching and talking to a PetroTech graduate, I quickly enrolled in the program. The instructors made the classes enjoyable and effective by taking the time to make sure that all students understood the subject. They offered to stay after or come in before the class began to help those who were still struggling in class. Many brought in samples from their work for students to examine. The OERB PetroTech program is a great choice for someone who has no history and is looking to get into the oil and natural gas industry or someone who has been in the field and would like a refresher in the new technology.”
“I heard about the OERB PetroTech Program from a co-worker with an employer outside of the Oil and Gas Industry in 2007 and was intrigued. I applied for and received an OERB Scholarship. I first started off as a Geo Tech but quickly realized that with my accounting background the Reservoir Engineering Tech position was a better fit for my skills. I love working in the Oil and Gas Industry and am so thankful for my OERB PetroTech Scholarship.”
The OERB PetroTech program is a technical training program. This is not a job placement program, and the OERB is not responsible for career opportunities. The OERB cannot guarantee job placement upon certification. If you have additional questions, please contact the OERB at 800-664-1301 ext. 231 or at [email protected].